Monday, May 21, 2007

Thankfulness

This is a picture from my wedding , my beautiful wife and five boys . I am most of all thankful for this bunch of hooligans . They make my life worthwhile .

I really didn't do much this weekend , I didn't even make it to church because all three little kids got sick at the same time . I think every one is close to being over it now . I am very thankful no one got that ill & I am off tomorrow, HOORAH!!!!
Things are going better with my work situation , I still wonder daily if I have made the correct employment choices . But , you know I have been a lot worse off than I am now and things aren't so bad. Lots of people have to work a lot of hours to make a living . Why should I be an different?
I just think back a couple of years and I know that I have come a long way in a short time .
It was probably only 4 years ago now I was a dishwasher , I made like $6.50 an hour & went back to the work release center to sleep at night . Let me tell you , work release is worse than prison in some ways . There are so many stupid rules that don't make any sense. Yes you do get to earn money for when you get out , but it's like freedom on a leash . At least in prison you know where you stand . You will work for free , you will do what you are told , you will be bored out of your mind at some point on most days . Work release is all this plus , constant tension in the air. You always have to be on guard . You have officers who would love to send you back to prison for no reason but that they can . You also have to worry about your dealings with the public.
Did you know that one of the rules in work release is , you are not permitted to form personal relationships with anyone in your place of employment. I mean how do you do that exactly? There are many rules like that, that don't make much sense.
Any way I guess I feel like as bad as some days may seem now , I am not in prison.
I have a new family and a good job , food to eat, a home to come to that for once in my life is a sanctuary. I am home here . It's not really that nice but it's more about who is here than what is here or what kind of package it is in . God has been so good to me and he has given me more than I thought possible just a few years ago . There are so many that don't have the very basic things they need . I am truly blessed and so is my family .
PEACE

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I love that picture because it captures the craziness of the boys. :-)

I really find your stories about prison and afterwards so interesting. And, I'm inspired by your ability to see your blessings and how far you've come. I need to do that more often.